Beetroot Black Forest Cupcake
- Get it together – blend the cooked beetroot with the egg, sugar, oil and water.
- Beat it – sift and whisk together the flour, cocoa and baking powder.
- Mix it up – add dry to wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Time for a cuppa – bake for 20 minutes at 180°C/350°F/Gas 4.
- Scoop it out – once cooled, using an apple corer, remove the middle but not right to the bottom.
- Beat it – whisk ingredients together.
- Cover it – Use a round nozzle to frost cupcakes.
- Finishing touches – place cherry on top of each one.
- Bubble up – boil all ingredients in a saucepan for 30 minutes, then set aside to cool.
- Fill up – insert jam in cupcake cores.
For the sponge
For the frosting
For the jam
Top TipTo avoid the sadness of separation when making a dairy-based frosting, make sure all your ingredients come straight from the fridge and are at the same temperature before mixing together.